Environmental Emissions Testing
Measurement of emissions is necessary to ensure compliance with facility construction and operating permits as well as the underlying regulatory requirements. It can also be carried out for performance set-up purposes or to produce baseline or evaluation data. We are a recognized leader in providing state-of-the-art testing services for emissions (available in Australia, Europe and North America).
In-House Environmental Services Capabilities
In today's industrial settings, environmental compliance is as big a concern as ever. Fortunately, AEREON provides some of the most environmentally compliant equipment in the world. In addition, our in-house testing group helps ensure that you are in compliance with all your local regulatory requirements.
The in-house AEREON testing group is solely focused on Air Emission Testing and provides high quality, engineer-supervised, and guaranteed valid air testing services to industrial clients from upstream oil & gas production, to midstream, and all the way to downstream liquid loading terminals. We have been providing emission testing services since the mid-1990s and have a wealth of emission testing experience and an excellent reputation with the regulatory agencies.
The testing group has a broad knowledge of stack testing and emission measurement requirements and protocols. In the USA, we are committed to providing our clients with top-quality testing services through strict adherence to proven EPA, CARB and ASTM test methods and protocols. Our Environmental Engineers provide valuable knowledge on compliance, permitting and protocol requirements and a high level of oversight to the testing group.
Another distinct advantage to using AEREON's testing group for your environmental services is the fact that we are a manufacturer of vapor combustors and vapor recovery equipment, and this provides the testing group additional insight to the operation of this type of equipment. With this knowledge, we can help you be better prepared for your compliance test.
The testing groups services are customized to meet the needs of your specific application. In addition to stack testing, we offer CEMS service including Relative Accuracy Test Audits (RATA) and Cylinder Gas Audits (CGA). AEREON will use the appropriate measurement technology for the project including Non-Dispersive Infrared Spectroscopy (NDIR), Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) and Gas Chromatography (GC) analysis. In addition to traditional stack testing, AEREON has the capability to do Carbon Testing for Vapor Recovery Units (VRUs), and Environmental Consulting Services.
In-House Emission Testing Capabilities
The success of the in-house emissions testing program is based upon the experience of the field crew, the knowledge of the regulations and protocols, and the quality/quantity of the equipment available to conduct the test. The AEREON testing group is comprised of several experienced testing professionals and backed up with Environmental Engineers along with the resources and support of the AEREON Service Group. AEREON's testing group is a knowledgeable team with over thousands of completed emissions tests.
Emission testing, also known as stack testing, source testing or compliance testing, is conducted on a regular basis as required by the local jurisdiction or air regulatory agency. AEREON has become quite competent and efficient in the preparation of the test protocols and in the USA we are often negotiating with the EPA and state agencies on your behalf to achieve more reasonable testing requirements. We also submit the EPA Test Notifications/Protocols to the regulatory agency for review and acceptance. We have developed strong working relationships with the state regulatory agencies and submit clear, concise documentation as required.
There are a variety of air pollutant measurements and sampling procedures which follow specific test methods and protocols to ensure proper and accurate emissions data. The test methods are pollutant specific and in some cases industry specific. The USEPA and state agencies are the principal originator of the test methods and in many cases, a representative of the local state agency, which has jurisdiction, will witness the emission test when it is conducted.
AEREON has multiple mobile testing labs, from fully-equipped, air conditioned testing trailers to specially designed testing packages for RATA tests. The equipment is routinely maintained and calibrated in accordance with standard operating procedures before and after each field project.
Our computer-controlled equipment provides immediate results for diagnostic purposes or to maximize operating flexibility. We have the most advanced, reliable in-house environmental testing equipment and full service lab available in the industry. AEREON's lab was the first to develop accurate and useful carbon analysis methods, and the first to develop a records system that helps you make appropriate carbon-maintenance decisions.
AEREON's in-house environmental emission testing resources include:
- Professionally staffed group with over 25 years of experience conducting stack emissions compliance, control equipment efficiency and CEMS certification testing for innovative solutions for vapor recovery and/or destruction in a cost-effective and environmentally-compliant method.
- Fully equipped mobile testing labs ready to dispatch to most locations.
- A tracking record of testing thousands of units.
- An intricate knowledge of environmental regulations and the equipment we test.
- The ability to create and perform custom-designed tests to meet your specialized requirements.
Some of the In-House Emission Testing services that AEREON can provide include:
- Vapor Recovery Unit (VRU) Compliance Test - No one knows more about Vapor Recovery Unit (VRU) compliance tests than AEREON. As the world's largest service provider to the downstream terminal market, we are experts in servicing the units, and are also the experts when it comes to emission testing your VRUs. In many terminals, AEREON is already providing service to your VRU, and it just makes sense to also have AEREON conduct your compliance test.
- Vapor Combustor Unit (VCU) Compliance Test - Vapor Combustors, also known as Enclosed Flares, Enclosed Combustors, and Thermal Oxidizers are found in a variety of applications and markets and require periodic compliance tests. Whether it's a VCU in a downstream terminal, upstream oil & gas, wastewater or landfill application, AEREON has the knowledge and expertise to compliance test the unit.
- RATA - Relative Accuracy Test Audit - As regulations become tighter and more closely scrutinized, the validity of facility emission data is extremely important. A RATA or Relative Accuracy Test Audit compares data from the facility CEMS to independent Reference Method data. In addition to relative accuracy evaluation, AEREON will obtain and evaluate daily calibration data to assure that it meets the regulatory drift requirements. AEREON follows the latest EPA and state regulations when conducting RATA programs.
- Methane Exclusion Measurement - The presence of methane at fuel terminals has become a significant issue in the past five years. AEREON has worked with test equipment manufacturers and customers to develop a dual gas RATA approach that is acceptable to USEPA and has been implemented at dozens of gasoline terminals in the US.
- CGA - Cylinder Gas Audit - An EPA testing procedure to ensure the accuracy of Continuous Emissions Monitoring System (CEMS) data. Known concentrations of specified gases are passed through the CEMS units and the measurements are taken and averaged over a period of time. The measurements from the unit must meet a specified percentage of error to be considered an accurate measuring device. If applicable, a CGA may be conducted in three of four calendar quarters, but no more than three quarters in succession. Then a RATA will be required. This test can be completed during the regularly scheduled quarterly Preventative Maintenance Inspection (PMI) by our qualitified Field Service Technician under the guidance of our testing group. This saves you money, limits your onsite contractors, and if there are any faulty components to your CEMS, our Field Service Technician can fix it on the spot.
- EPA Method 21 - VOC Leak - An EPA protocol for monitoring VOC leaks to ensure that fugitive emissions are identified and eliminated to control air pollution and protect the public's health.
- Carbon Performance Testing - To understand whether your Carbon Bed VRUs are functioning at the proper capacity, it is essential to take annual carbon bed samples and send to AEREON for analysis. In the lab, AEREON will perform Reference Method ASTM D2862 (Particle Size Distribution) and Reference Method ASTM D5228 (Butane Working Capacity) on the carbon samples. A complete report will be prepared including a grading of the carbon and recommendations based on AEREON's extensive Carbon Bed VRU experience. A yearly Carbon Evaluation is strongly recommended to understand the state of your carbon beds and whether operational adjustments affecting environmental compliance are required or a replacement of the carbon beds needs to be planned for in the near future.
- Glycol Seal Fluid Testing - Proper operation of liquid ring vacuum pumps is built on the appropriate mixture of glycol and water. If the proportion of these critical fluids is not correct, the pump can heat up or fail. Testing the seal fluid is an important part of any maintenance program and should be performed regularly. AEREON can assist with measuring and documenting that seal fluid meets manufacturer's requirements.
- Gas Analysis and Flow Rate Survey from Upstream Oil & Gas Tank Batteries - Appropriate selection and sizing of emission control equipment starts with a sound knowledge and understanding of the site and its unique characteristics. AEREON can prepare and implement a site specific engineering evaluation program that will measure and document gas quality and flowrates that are useful for emission estimates and calculations as well as lay the groundwork for control equipment design.
Benefits of AEREON's In-House Testing Group:
- Peace of mind - strong safety record with low time recordable incident rate (TRIR).
- Single source solution - equipment supply, installation, service, environmental testing, and automation.
- Environmental compliance - broad experience, 1000s of tests, and intimate knowledge of equipment.
- Broad coverage - largest worldwide service provider of vapor control equipment.
- No other laboratory offers the range of services, with experienced technical personnel, as AEREON. From flat sheet efficiency tests to industrial vapor emissions testing, AEREON can perform the testing services you need reliably and economically. For more information about our emission testing services, contact us.